Home > Applications and Process > Filing a Complaint  
Application and Process
  New System
  Replacement System
  Renovations/Change of Use
  Tank Replacement
  Decommissioning Existing Systems
  Effluent Filter/Risers
  Request for Septic Records
  Filing a Complaint
Things to Know
OSSO Corner

  Filing a Complaint

When reporting a failing system or other occurrences please call Ottawa Septic System Office at 613-692-3571, Press “4” for any septic inquiries OR email septic@rvca.ca. You need to provide the following information upon calling our office for the property in question:

• Name of Property Owner
• Civic Address (Ex. 3889 Rideau Valley Dr.)
• City Ward
• Complaint (e.g., I can see sewage pooling on my neighbors’ septic bed)

Are you a neighbor, councilor, or installer? From the Health Unit, By-Law Office or Building Inspector?

Please note all reports are kept confidential

If you would like to receive a response from us ensure you leave contact information otherwise we will treat this as an anonymous report.

Ottawa Septic System Office | septic@rvca.ca | FAQs